Thursday, June 18, 2009

Work Ethic

Yesterday my 15 year old daughter started her summer job. This is something she did all by herself. She bugged her mother to drive her around one day by our house looking for help wanted signs in storefront windows. In this Internet world I was skeptical that people actually still put signs in there windows but low and behold they still do. There is something comforting in that. To know that just as in our youth she can get on her bike and head off to work at the neighborhood store( dry cleaner in her case). Seeing your children take it upon themselves to go earn a buck or two is very rewarding. With this one it doesn't surprise me as she is a very take charge kinda girl. She is smart and I knew she listened to her mother and me about gaining a work ethic. Now her older brother that was a different story. I was sure he hadn't paid attention to anything I said about money. Imagine my surprise when I helped him with his taxes and saw what he made last year and also saw what he had saved. The kid is doing great. At 20 he has turned into a great young man. Way ahead of everyone of his friends. As parents you get a sense of accomplishment like no other when you see your children take head of some of your lessons and apply them to their lives. To watch them turn into adults that other people respect is all we can hope for. I see the respect my son receives from people close to him and I can look at his mother and we both smile and nod thinking we did all right. Now my 15 year old is well on her way on a good path as well. 2 down 2 to go.As always let me know what you think and hit a sponsor on the way out as a guys gotta eat.

No comments: