Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson VS Farrah Fawcett

Well it has been a sad week as two stars have passed away. Both of them shaped pop culture in their own way. Sadly one is getting the short end of the stick as far as coverage and grief goes. Everything is about Michael with very little being said about Farrah except that she passed away from cancer. This Joe has decided to take it upon himself to compare the two's impact on all of us that are in our 40's and 50's. Let us start with Mr. Jackson. Now I was never a fan of his music as I tended to lean more to the rock and roll side of things. This in my opinion makes me that much more impartial in this debate. You see I wasn't a fan but I could respect what he did. He was very talented as an artist. He came along and turned the start up network MTV into his own personal playground with his music and dancing that people were energized by. Talk to me about Michael Jackson pre 1989 and this is my opinion. Now to Miss Fawcett thru this same time period. She was simply every young mans dream. I don't think I know any teen boy who did not have that poster. Not only that she was THE angel on Charlies Angels. Those things don't even touch the main impact she had witch was............come on girls you know the answer..........that's right feathered bangs. Every teen age girl was wearing her version of Farrahs hair from coast to coast. Huge impact. Now we will discuss post 1989. People always busted Farrahs chops but it didn't deter her. She took a role in the movie the Burning Bed. Now this was a touchy subject about spousal abuse. A husband terrorizing his wife. Something everyone knows goes on but didn't want to say anything about. Society's little secret. She absolutely hits the part out of the park. Bringing to light the desperate need to address this problem world wide. Because of that movie and her role a movement took hold. Now she hit her 40's. What does she do?? Poses naked for Playboy to show just how attractive and desirable older women can be. Bravo, Bravo. She did nothing but get better with age.. On to Mr Jackson post 1989. We all know the story here. Who knows how many surgeries, oxygen tents and various other weird things that he started up with. But I could get by all of that and wrote it off as goofy creativity. As a matter of fact it kept us interested even if it was a what is going to happen next kind of fascination. But here is when it ends for me. He hurt children. That over rules everything and anything he ever did. There is no excuse, absolutely nothing can justify taking a child's innocence. NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! That erases any greatness he had achieved. So I will end this by saying to the one who only got better with age, rest in peace Farrah, thanks for everything. As always let me know what you think and hit a sponsor on the way out as a guys gotta eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess if you believe the media about his perversion. I for one grace greedy parents for their stupidity. Yes, his choices were wrong in believing that it was ok to have children sleep in his bed, but I personally believe he was a child that never had the chance to grow up. Yes, he should have never put himself in that situation, however what parents after the first go around would allow their children to sleep over? I believe deep in my heart that he did not abuse any child, so did the courts, as he was never convicted. I think it was a case of stupidity on both ends. Rest in peace Michael Jackson as now you are free from your parents,stardom and the press. As for Farrah, you are oh so correct in the media's absence from her death, she was a splendid individual and God rest her soul.