Thursday, May 21, 2009

Talent

After watching American Idol and seeing the talent on the show I found myself looking at the specific talents or desires in my house. This is a tricky thing to do with your children as you have to look deep and make sure you are seeing their talents and desirers and not yours for them. Example: I have a 15 year old daughter who loves volleyball. She has a beautiful overhand serve and was one of the dominate players in her league at the Dimple Dale Rec center. We have her in Alta's vollyball camp to prepare for tryouts in Aug. Apperantly there are alot of club players she feels are farther along than she is. She may not have the most talent but absolutly nobody will out work her. I have a 14 year old daughter who I have racing go karts at Miller Motorsports Park. She had been in one of these karts for a total of 20 min preveously. She suits up and ends up racing on a track configuration we have never seen. What does she do?? Runs the second fastest qualifing lap of the 20 drivers. She is the only female and there is only 1 other teenager. The rest of the drivers were adults. I am complimented on my training of her by track officials. I tell them it's her first time on that track and they are shocked. Start calling her a natural. She has the most talent but no desire to work harder. I believe Danielle will make the vollyball team because the coaches will see her sheer force of will and hard work can over come more talent. As for Taylor who has a such a gift for being able to see and feel a racing line that other people will kill for I am lost. Do you let a child throw away a very special gift??? I guess in a perfect world I could take a little of Taylors talent and some of Danielle drive and mix it all up between them. I think thats why we watch American Idol. Deep down we know it's special to see someone with the talent and drive mixed together to chase there dreams. Let me know what you think.

No comments: