Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Days of the week

I woke up this morning after a long weekend and found myself wondering where the heck did the names for the days of the week come from. I know a little wierd but what can I say. So anyway here is your lesson for today. We begin with why their are 7 days in the week. It is traced back to the Romans who probobly stole it from the Egyptions who in turn stole it from the Persions. It is kind of like a good idea in politics, everyone wants to take credit for it. Basicly it comes from the "Heavenly Bodies" at the time. Sun, Moon and 5 planets they could see. That brings us to the first day of the week Sunday. Named of course after the Sun witch spreads warmth and light. Hence why we play in the sun on that day. Next is Monday named after the Moon. The moon was important because it was believed to effect both people and crops. You can look at it today in the same way as it begins the work week where we all work to pay for our crops. A little bit of a stretch but hang with me. Tuesday is named for the norse god Tyre. Tyre is the god of courage and honor. Believe you me it takes alot of courage to get up and return to work after the usual BS that occurs on Monday. So once again perfectly named. Wedensday is named for the cheif of the gods Odin. Now Odin hung for nine days, pierced by his own spear, from the world tree. Don't try and tell me by Wedensday you dont feel like youve been hanging by a spear from the "work tree". Right on target once again. Thursday named for Thor the god of thunder. This confused me as I had believed of course that Gene Simmons of KISS was not only the god of thunder but also of rock and roll. I believe there was even a song stating that fact. But I regress. Everyone knows the thunder inside us builds with anticipation for the end of the week on Thursday. How did they get it right again. Here comes Friday. Named after the goddess Frey, goddess of prosperity, and her twin sister Freya, goddess of fertility. You have got to be kidding me here. Prosperity? duh, payday. Fertility? everyone who is single is looking to at least practice fertilization. Hot twins? only every red blooded males dream. Those Norse gods all I can say is WOW, dead spot on. Last but not least Saturday. Named for the Roman god Saturn. Mr Saturn started a little thing called Saturnalia which was a big party where the rules of etiquite were ignored and all morals loosned. HELLO, has anyone been out on a Saturday night?? It amazes me how they could have known that long ago how absolutly perfect their names would be. As always let me know what you think and hit a sponsor on the way out as a writer has to eat.

2 comments:

Zach Masten said...

Great post. Next is the months on the calendar!

Spence said...

Andy, you're wacked :)

--Joe Spencer