Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Life Lesson

Today I go in search of another life lesson. I am going on a 4 hour journey that will be filled with exercise, inner reflection, and intentional pain. It is strange that as human beings we are the only animals on this planet that will intentionally do something that can cause so much mental anguish and frustration. Not only do we do it again and again but we actually pay someone else for the privilege to inflict this pain on our selves. That's right I am going golfing. What is it about golf that can absolutely get so deep into a persons bones. Personally my wife thinks the sun has just baked my brain. There is something about the game that drives me. Whether I am playing with friends or alone I continue to go back. I think we go back because there is always room for improvement. No matter what score you have shot there is always one putt. or one drive, or even one chip that you feel has cost you a shot. Therefor the next time you know you can do better. There it is. HA we just found it. The reason it's deep inside our bones. We strive to do better. As people I think we all have to strive to do better in everything we do every day. We strive to get ahead at work, to be a better father, husband, and all around good person. Just like in golf, sometimes we will miss a putt, make a bad drive into the rough, and leave room for improvement. But every morning we get up and go at it again. And every once in awile it all comes together. You see your children selflessly help someone else. You see neighbors helping neighbors. People all around you striving to be better. It warms your heart just like the rattle the ball makes when the birdie putt falls. Chasing a little white ball with a stick. Who would have thunk it.

2 comments:

Stacey Allen said...

This is a great blog today. I agree that golf and life set us apart from the animals ha ha ha.

Rioaxl said...

Hey Andy - Glad to see you're golfing and I'm ESPECIALLY glad to see you're writing! There's never been anything average about you.

Luv - Leota